London is one of our favorite cities to explore, not only because it’s a major cosmopolitan city, or because of the countless landmarks, museum, and restaurants to explore. London is the perfect vacation destination for everyone – old and young, food lover, history lover, or adventure junkie.
If you’re planning a trip to London and would like to find the best things to do, places to eat and drink in the city, this essential travel guide to London covers it all. Jump down to see the infographic planning guide.
London is very spread out and there are multiple neighborhoods that offer something different and unique. You can see all the major sights along the Thames in a day or two, then spend many more days exploring neighborhoods like Notting Hill, Angel, Shoreditch, Soho and Camden.
Top Things to Do & See in London
If it’s your first time in London, you’ll no doubt be wanting to see the sights. We’ve got a full walking-tour guide to the top sights of London that you can do in one day. London is also full of iconic buildings to admire.
For us, foodie activities always take up at least a portion of our itinerary. Find some of London’s best foodie activities. One thing you can’t miss is visiting the various food markets, of which there are plenty, including my favorite, Borough Market.
Once you’ve seen Big Ben and Westminster, you might want to head further out of town to see Windsor Castle and the charming little town of Windsor. It doesn’t take long to get there on the train and is a perfect day trip from London. You can also visit Stonehenge on a day trip from London.
Tours You Must Take in London
If you want to see and do some of the activities we’ve included in the infographic below, we recommend booking tickets on Viator. They make it super simple to book everything you want to see in one place!
- Classic London Landmarks Bicycle Tour
- Warner Bros. Harry Potter Studio Tour and read our full review of the tour.
- Soho Food & Cocktail Tour (through Eating Europe)
- East End Food Tour (through Eating Europe)
- London Eye Fast-Track Ticket
- Easy Access Tower of London & Crown Jewels with Tower Bridge Tour
- London Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour and Entry to Over 60 Attractions
- Small-Group Tour: Historical Pub Walking Tour of London
- Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from London
More Tours to Book:
Where to Stay in London
There are many different parts of London, and each has a different feel to it. The best location for tourists is near Victoria and Oxford Circus, because they are so convenient to the typical tourist attractions of the city. Soho is also a great location if you want to be in the heart of the action, near tons of great restaurants and bars. Here are our recommended places to stay in London
- Marriott County Hall: Great value for the price. Nice affordable luxury hotel in a great location | Read reviews on Trip Advisor or check prices on Booking.com
- Clermont London Charing Cross: If you’re planning your time seeing the main tourist sights in London, this is the perfect location | Read reviews on Trip Advisor or check prices on Booking.com
- The Resident Covent Garden: Covent Garden is one of the most fun neighborhoods in London for visitors. This hotel is prime location, and really nice | Read reviews on Trip Advisor or check prices on Booking.com
Essential Travel Guide to London
Pin it for later
Laura Lynch, creator and writer of Savored Journeys, is an avid world traveler, certified wine expert, and international food specialist. She has written about travel and food for over 20 years and has visited 70+ countries.